How to Change Your Twitter Display Name on Desktop or Mobile
Your display name (@handle) and your username (@handle) can be used by other Twitter users to search your profile. They appear at the top right of your profile, under the picture and the display name.
You don’t have to stick with the same display name you used when you first started. It is possible to change the name at any moment, for whatever reason. It is easy to change the display name and it is automatically updated.
These are the steps to follow for both desktop and mobile.
Table of Contents
- Twitter Mobile App – Change your name
- On Twitter Desktop, Change your Name
- You can watch the video:
- What’s the problem with my Twitter display name?
- Change your display name to Elon Musk
- What Part of your Twitter name can you change?
- End of the story
Name Change on Twitter Mobile App
1. Use the Twitter mobile app to log in and create a new account.
2. Click on the profile icon in the upper left corner (that’s iOS). This is the horizontal line that appears on an Android phone.
3. The menu will be opened, but we are interested in the information at the top, which is your profile info. This is display name, handle and profile photo. To view your profile page, tap on the picture. You can also tap the “Profile” option.
4. Near the top of the screen, click on ” Edit profile“. Here you can modify a variety of information about your Twitter account. We’re only interested in the change of the display name so we will ignore all other options.
5. Click on the “Name” field below your profile photo and enter your desired display name. This limit is 50 characters on Twitter, but it’s more than sufficient for the majority of people.
6. To change your display name, tap “Save” in the upper right corner.
Twitter Desktop Name Change
1. Sign in to Twitter using any one of your favourite web browsers.
2. To access your profile photo, click on the link at the top of this page. It is located under “Home”. You will be taken to your profile page, which contains different information. We want the button to “Edit Profile” under the header image.
3. Select the “Edit Profile” option.
4. The small pop-up page shows your display name. You can click on the link and enter your display name.
To confirm your change, click “Save” at the top-right corner of the popup page.
View the Video:
Why can’t I change my Twitter display name?
You will rarely be unable to modify your display name. The process is quite straightforward, and you can follow the steps as they are explained. Twitter does not restrict your use of names – at least, for the greater part.
You won’t be able to modify your display name if either “Twitter”, or “admin” have been added in your name. When you click “Save”, Twitter will immediately inform you. These names can only be used for Twitter accounts.
All you need to do now is to remove them.
Change Your Display Name to Elon Musk
The social network enforced a stringent rule in 2018 against calling yourself Elon Musk. In the aftermath of cryptocurrency scams, the social platform was imposing a strict rule against calling yourself Elon Musk.
These scam accounts often appear under Musk’s tweets and offer unsuspecting users the chance to get some cryptocurrency in return for cash. It was so convincing that they responded under Musk’s actual account.
Twitter had to ban anyone changing their name from “Elon Musk”, in order to curb this menace. You had to take a CAPTCHA exam and give your number in order to access your account again. It was successful in eliminating the bot-related accounts from the platform.
After you have passed their verification, you can keep your Elon Musk name.
Twitter seems to have found better solutions. You can easily change your name to Elon Musk today.
What Part of your Twitter Name can you Change?
You should now be able to change any portion of your display name if you have followed these steps. You don’t have to include “Twitter”, or “admin” in your display name.
Follow these steps to easily change the name of your Twitter account. This applies for desktop as well mobile applications (iOs and Android). Twitter doesn’t care how many times you change the name or the name used.
You shouldn’t have any problems as long it does not include “Twitter”, or “admin”.
– Navigate to Twitter in a web browser.
– Click your profile picture on the left side of the screen.
– On your profile page, click “Edit profile.”
– In the Edit profile window, type a new name in the Name field.
– When you’re done, click “Save.”
– Navigate to Settings and privacy and tap Account.
– Tap Username and update the username currently listed in the Username field. If the username is taken, you’ll be prompted to choose another one.
– Tap Done.
– Open the Twitter mobile app.
– Tap on your profile icon on the upper left corner of the screen.
– On the menu that appears, tap on Settings and privacy.
– From the list, tap on Account.
– Under Login and security, tap on Username.
– Type in your desired username.
– Tap on Done.
Safe search settings include Hide sensitive content and Remove blocked and muted accounts. Uncheck the box to disable either setting, you may re-enable at any time. Note: This setting may take several minutes to go into effect. Click Save this search to save your search term.
Make sure that your account is activated. If it’s not, you won’t be able to change your Twitter Display name. The other possible reason can be the use of specific terms in your name. For example, Twitter doesn’t allow any unverified account to use ‘Twitter’ or ‘Admin’ in their name.17-Apr-2021
Unlike Facebook, there isn’t any limitation for changing Twitter name. You can change it whenever you want to whatever you want.17-Apr-2021
Your display name (@handle) and your username (@handle) can be used by other Twitter users to search your profile. They appear at the top right of your profile, under the picture and the display name. You don’t have to stick with the same display name you used when you first started.