How to write longer tweets than just 280 characters
Twitter raised the limit on tweet characters from 140 to 285 in 2017
For some people however, even 280 characters is not enough. If you are one of these people, don’t be discouraged. All you need is to know how to create longer tweets.
Here are some suggestions for ways you can extend your Twitter tweets.
Table of Contents
How to tweet more than 280 characters
- 1. Splitting Your Tweet into Multiple Tweets
- 2. Using Screenshots
9 Top Tools for Writing Longer Tweets
- 1. TwitLonger
- Alternative to Twitlonger
- 2. Screenshot
- 3. Make a thread on Twitter
- 4. JumboTweet
- 5. ControlC
- 6. Twitter Compressor
- 7. Twishort
- 8. Tall tweets
- 9. Tinypaste
- How to make your Twitter location last longer
Tweet More Than 280 Characters
This involves dividing tweets into multiple sequentially numbered Tweets. Each tweet can only contain 280 characters. Twitter users often use this strategy to communicate with customer service representatives.
1. Splitting Your Tweet into Multiple Tweets
- In any text box, such as a word processor (PC), or note-taking app(mobile), type the whole content of your tweet.
- Take a few lines of the text and copy them.
- Open your Twitter web/app and create a new Tweet. If it’s a tweet about a person, tag them and then number the tweet with 1 or 3.
- Copy the copied content and paste it. Remember to keep the characters limit at 280. Then tweet.
- Go back to the original content. Continue to copy a few lines more and do the same. Your tweet should be numbered 2/3.
- Because the whole tweet has been split, it helps to identify that the numbering is a follow-up.
- Continue to repeat the content until you’ve tweeted it all.
2. Using Screenshots
- In a note-taking app (Mobile) or word processor (PC), write the contents of your tweet.
- Make a screen grab of the content. Each device is different and takes screenshots in a unique way. You need to be familiar with how yours works.
- Make sure that the text remains visible in the cropped screenshot. Different devices use different photo cropping methods. MS Paints can be used for computers.
- Upload the image to the Twitter app/web and create a new Tweet.
- If the tweet is to be directed, tag (@username), the recipient or include a caption. The tweet should be sent.
The 9 Best Tools for Writing Longer Tweets:
TwitLonger, the best-known and most widely used app to write longer tweets than Twitter, has been around almost as long as Twitter.
TwitLonger makes it easy to get started.
- Click the Write A Post link in the upper left corner of the TwitLonger site. You will need access to your Twitter account for the first time.
- Add your tweet to the box and add a title, if necessary. Click Post It. To start a longer thread, you can click Reply at the end of this screen.
TwitLonger will provide a link in your posted tweet to access the remainder of the message.
It is increasingly common to use screenshots for longer messages.
- These note-taking apps for Android and iOS are great to help you jot down ideas. You need to ensure that everything is on the same screen.
- After taking a screenshot, open the Twitter app. Tap on the “New Tweet” icon to attach the screenshot to your tweet.
- Once you are ready to tweet, click the “Tweet” button.
3. Make a thread on Twitter
Twitter’s threads feature was launched shortly after the increase in characters to 280.
- To start a Twitter thread, you can simply write a normal tweet. When you are ready to create the second tweet, click the plus button.
- You can create a whole thread by clicking the tweet all button
A detailed article about How to Create a Tweet Thread
- To access the website, use your Twitter credentials. Your tweet can contain as much text or as little as you like.
- Click Sign In with Twitter to get started. Once you have authenticated, the application will take you back to your message screen.
- Send your message.
To prevent your tweet from being displayed in the company’s feed, uncheck the box beside Display the post publically on the JumboTweet streaming.
You can use this program by entering your text into the box provided and formatting it. The font can be changed in style and color.
Once you are done, click on Submit to receive a share link. You cannot send the link directly to Twitter via the web app.
6. Twitter Compressor
Unicode can be used to replace two-letter combinations using single characters on Twitter Compressor. These are some examples of compressible combinations.
- Period followed by space
- A space followed by a comma
Twishort lets you create a lengthy tweet and then send it directly to Twitter. This app isn’t available for Android.
If you use the web application, you can respond to another person’s tweet with a lengthy reply. You can use Twitter’s mention function to send long tweets directly to other users.
8. Tall tweets
Sign in with Tall Tweets to get started. Create a new tweet and choose to either send it as text or an image. Push publish to continue.
- Visit Tinypaste’s website. Tinypaste will create a web page that has a URL you can share with others on Twitter.
- Type the text in the box with large fonts below “Paste Title:”.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Submit”. Tinypaste will open a new webpage; you can copy it from the textbox.
- Copy the URL to a tweet in the Twitter app Create a basic tweet and point people to the URL for further information.
Make your Twitter location longer
Twitter restricts the location field to 30 characters. Twitterrific is a third-party application that offers an alternative. You can enter additional text which Twitter will save and recognize.
A thread from someone you follow with 2 or 3 Tweets will generally appear on your timeline connected by a line to distinguish them as a bundle. When there are 4 or more Tweets in a thread, the Tweets will be truncated, and you’ll see an option to Show this thread. Click or tap this message to expand the full thread.
The Tweet limit of 2,400 updates per day is further broken down into semi-hourly intervals. If you hit your account update/Tweet limit, please try again in a few hours after the limit period has elapsed.
A thread from someone you follow with 2 or 3 Tweets will generally appear on your timeline connected by a line to distinguish them as a bundle. When there are 4 or more Tweets in a thread, the Tweets will be truncated, and you’ll see an option to Show this thread.
Open Twitter in another tab and compose a second tweet. Then, paste the text, again making sure you’re within 280 characters. The tweet counter indicates that the content is too long to be sent in one tweet, and that the entire tweet is split into multiple, successive tweets.
In November 2017, Twitter doubled the maximum allowed tweet length from 140 to 280 characters, a drastic switch on one of the world’s most influential social media platforms.16-Sept-2020
– Click the “Tweet” button to compose a new Tweet.
– Write your first Tweet. Click the “Add another Tweet” button and a second Tweet window will pop up.
– You can publish the entire thread at the same time with the “Tweet all” button.